Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Texas Soccer
Head over to txsoccer.net and set up a new account. This site is being retired, the boys forum will now be on txsoccer.net
Texas Soccer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
2017/2018 Schedules/Standings

CCSAI Classic Leage

Classic League Field Maps and Status

PPL Schedules and Results

PPL Field Status and Field Maps

If you want your league schedule here PM me the link!
Latest topics
» Go to www.txsoccer.net
by Admin 5/18/2018, 9:24 am

» TxSoccer.Net
by Admin 5/10/2018, 8:05 pm

» DA tryouts/evaluations
by Ochocinco 5/10/2018, 6:48 pm

» TOURNAMENT: DALLAS OPEN May 25-28, 2018
by U90C 5/10/2018, 5:49 pm

» Looking for TEAMS!!!
by nxtgensoccercup 5/10/2018, 5:22 pm

» TEXAS JUNEFEST - U9, U10 (9v9), U11 AND U12 (11v11)
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:28 pm

» GERMAN INTERNATIONAL ID CAMP - EXPENSE PAID TRIP TO GERMANY
by musaisaya 5/10/2018, 3:22 pm

» DA/ECNL tryouts
by Maradona 5/10/2018, 3:02 pm

» 08 Boys Teams - PREMIER COPA (June 8-10)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 2:41 pm

» 05 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 11:55 am

» Dallas Texans 2007 South Boys Open Practices
by DT07SB 5/10/2018, 11:21 am

» 07 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:12 am

» U8 Boys Teams - DALLAS OPEN (May 25-28)
by U90C 5/10/2018, 9:09 am

» U14/04B Classic Teams in Plano?
by BlueJet 5/10/2018, 9:00 am

» Legal question
by mpcls55 5/10/2018, 7:39 am

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Be an Athletic Supporter!
Make your annual TxSoccer donation and get recognized

96 Challenge Games - Page 2 Pixel
If you have donated previously you'll get your 2nd annual tag!

I forgot my password

96 Challenge Games

+7
Prism
CH1
Rightback
cornerkick96
go99
soccermom040
soccerdad1
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

96 Challenge Games - Page 2 Empty Re: 96 Challenge Games

Post by ntxsoccerchat 5/19/2010, 9:50 pm

my2cents wrote:Yeah right. I am a scout. I see a kid tearing it up in a U17 game but I am not going to persue recruting him because he was not on my list two years ago. Really? I don't think so.
Exactly. College coaches care about one thing - their job. If you can help them win they will recruit you. Whenever.
Oh yea, they don't care who you played for either. If you can help them get the job done, you're in.

ntxsoccerchat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

96 Challenge Games - Page 2 Empty Exactly

Post by Soccernovice 5/19/2010, 11:06 pm

Exactly don't drink the cool aide and waste your money going to college camps play for a coach with connections and if your son is good you will get all the visibility you need. Again coach is not picking up the phone until it is time to pick up the phone maybe late U17 or early U18.
Soccernovice
Soccernovice
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CH1 5/20/2010, 9:49 am

The top players will have verbals their junior yr. I'm not going to explain how to get your child a scholarship, so follow the process you want. If everyone's child in these posts are considered the top 5 in TX, then you have nothing to worry about!
CH1
CH1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/20/2010, 11:00 am

To get your child a scholorship have him learn to play and be better than the other kids.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ntxsoccerchat 5/20/2010, 11:11 am

go99 wrote:To get your child a scholorship have him learn to play and be better than the other kids.

No, no, no! It's all about connections and who your son's coach knows and what club he plays for...haven't you been listening? Nobody cares about talent. Especially those stupid college coaches who will blindly recruit anybody off a top team. Geez... 96 Challenge Games - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes

Folks, there's more than one way to skin a cat. If you can play, you're time will come - even if you play for the Ladybugs.

ntxsoccerchat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/20/2010, 11:20 am

I hear the ladybugs have one hell of a team and a forward that is an unstoppable soccer beast. They are definately on the college recruiters list.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Location : The Ahole TXsoccer deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So they will hate me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not their hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Back to top Go down

Post by CH1 5/20/2010, 11:25 am

ok...D1 gets 9.9 and D2 gets 9, so I guess the college coaches will somehow magically hear about a kid who is scoring 15 goals a game playing for the YMCA Ladybugs and actually consider him a top prospect?....the bottom line is if your child is not playing in front of the college coaches than they will not get seen and will not get recruited. It's very rare that a college coach will actually sit and watch an entire game...a half at best, so they may view as many prospects as possible. Many colleges DO have relationships with certain clubs, and DO speak to select coaches about the child, his skills, academics and family ...
CH1
CH1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/20/2010, 11:35 am

I will give you the visibility part, but you coach, team, and club can't save you from the fact that you can't play. A player who can truly play could call a coach, show up for a workout, and get himself a scholorship. All the teams want talent regardless of where it comes from. BTW I will go on record that college soccer is garbage and part of the problem with soccer here in the US.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by ntxsoccerchat 5/20/2010, 11:38 am

CH1 wrote:ok...D1 gets 9.9 and D2 gets 9, so I guess the college coaches will somehow magically hear about a kid who is scoring 15 goals a game playing for the YMCA Ladybugs and actually consider him a top prospect?....the bottom line is if your child is not playing in front of the college coaches than they will not get seen and will not get recruited. It's very rare that a college coach will actually sit and watch an entire game...a half at best, so they may view as many prospects as possible. Many colleges DO have relationships with certain clubs, and DO speak to select coaches about the child, his skills, academics and family ...

Yes of course you're right - I'm just busting your balls to a degree.

However, if you want to play in college do not sit around and hope the team your on, the club you play for or the coach who takes your money gets you noticed. Be proactive and contact the colleges yourself. Because yes, 9.9 and 9 scholarships is accurate so they're not going to waste their time looking at someone who isn't interested in them already (outside of the elite of the elite - and those kids will get recruited no matter what).

Contact coaches, go to their camps, watch their games, email them your schedule, etc. And if they hear about the kid from the Ladybugs in the YMCA scoring 15 goals a year, they may make a phone call to see if it's worth looking into. Part of their job is to leave no stone unturned.

Last point for me - most club coaches have at least some college contacts - especially the ones who coach the older age groups. But in 90+% of the cases, it's up to the player to initiate the interest.

ntxsoccerchat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CH1 5/20/2010, 11:57 am

ok.....so when are we going to be able to get MEN's Soccer in TX colleges?.......not just the private schools ? .....Title IX...when will it be adjusted .....
CH1
CH1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by ntxsoccerchat 5/20/2010, 12:03 pm

CH1 wrote:ok.....so when are we going to be able to get MEN's Soccer in TX colleges?.......not just the private schools ? .....Title IX...when will it be adjusted .....

Never.

ntxsoccerchat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CH1 5/20/2010, 12:22 pm

ok....so back to the topic.....
Inter : seems majority rules- they take the top spot
FCDR/HPDrifters/Aces : ? .......Can PPL pull it off?
CH1
CH1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 5/20/2010, 3:49 pm

CH1 wrote:No doubt Thiago is a good and very much admired coach....but by 15 you need to be D2 or higher if you are wanting to have college exposure. I think a lot of teams may have a big shake up coming at the end of next year.....so everyone should be keeping their eyes open....D1-Premier-Juniors....

With no offense intended, this might be the dumbest thing i have heard in some time. We had 3 college coaches scout FCDR this year (from private colleges in the midwest and northeast) and they all spoke at great length about the scholarship and recruiting process. It is too lengthy to relate but i the end they could care less about what division your kid plays in Dallas ball. They look for grades, character and skill. If you have skill but bad grades and a crappy attitude you can go to work for FCD when you are 18 for 18k per year.

Visibility at the university level is much more complex than you seem to appreciate. Also please acknowledge the fact that division 1 programs can offer EXACTLY 9.9 scholarships in entirety to comply with NCAA rules. 9.9! There are often 35+ players on the roster...and if you use some of the scholarships for full rides (rare these days) the the kids, if scholarships are needed, have to qualify for academic money. I have many friends who took soccer scholarships and they all related to me that this is why so many end up in Div II and Div III private schools where the money restrictions are much less. And those coaches related to me that they are more concerned about grades and character...that there are lots of kids who can play, but that they need kids to commit to play for all 4 years when they might only start as Seniors...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by CH1 5/20/2010, 5:01 pm

duh...you need to read the whole posts :
. Many colleges DO have relationships with certain clubs, and DO speak to select coaches about the child, his skills, academics and family ...
CH1
CH1
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/20/2010, 9:39 pm

Rightback wrote:
CH1 wrote:No doubt Thiago is a good and very much admired coach....but by 15 you need to be D2 or higher if you are wanting to have college exposure. I think a lot of teams may have a big shake up coming at the end of next year.....so everyone should be keeping their eyes open....D1-Premier-Juniors....

With no offense intended, this might be the dumbest thing i have heard in some time. We had 3 college coaches scout FCDR this year (from private colleges in the midwest and northeast) and they all spoke at great length about the scholarship and recruiting process. It is too lengthy to relate but i the end they could care less about what division your kid plays in Dallas ball. They look for grades, character and skill. If you have skill but bad grades and a crappy attitude you can go to work for FCD when you are 18 for 18k per year.

Visibility at the university level is much more complex than you seem to appreciate. Also please acknowledge the fact that division 1 programs can offer EXACTLY 9.9 scholarships in entirety to comply with NCAA rules. 9.9! There are often 35+ players on the roster...and if you use some of the scholarships for full rides (rare these days) the the kids, if scholarships are needed, have to qualify for academic money. I have many friends who took soccer scholarships and they all related to me that this is why so many end up in Div II and Div III private schools where the money restrictions are much less. And those coaches related to me that they are more concerned about grades and character...that there are lots of kids who can play, but that they need kids to commit to play for all 4 years when they might only start as Seniors...
OK...you are telling me you had 3 College coaches "scout" your U14 Plano Premier team? I am not buying that.
If your BB is not playing against the top competition, their performance will not carry much weight. So...if the character, academics, etc are equal...the kid from D1 beats your kid from PP when it comes time to handing out the limited scholarship money. If you don't think this is true, you are not being realistic.

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by ntxsoccerchat 5/20/2010, 10:26 pm

Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:

OK...you are telling me you had 3 College coaches "scout" your U14 Plano Premier team? I am not buying that.
If your BB is not playing against the top competition, their performance will not carry much weight. So...if the character, academics, etc are equal...the kid from D1 beats your kid from PP when it comes time to handing out the limited scholarship money. If you don't think this is true, you are not being realistic.
Maybe. Maybe not.

You're own logic derails your argument. If all things are equal, I'm guessing it does't matter where they played because all things are equal.

My bet would be on the kid who costs the program the least amount of soccer scholarship money...

ntxsoccerchat
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 5/20/2010, 10:38 pm

Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:

So should i provide names and times? Feeling left out? It turns out that the coach having extensive personal connections i a material factor in getting your team evaluated. You might be right...it might have been more than three. I could care less about scholarship money - I never did care - but the boys on the team have been extensively coached by college recruiters on how to get their attention. It was asked if playing in D1 mattered and a coach answered that it was not a material factor in his mind. He was a coach of a midwest private school with substantial scholarship money. Turns out that your coach being connected matters...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/21/2010, 8:22 am

Rightback wrote:
Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:

So should i provide names and times? Feeling left out? It turns out that the coach having extensive personal connections i a material factor in getting your team evaluated. You might be right...it might have been more than three. I could care less about scholarship money - I never did care - but the boys on the team have been extensively coached by college recruiters on how to get their attention. It was asked if playing in D1 mattered and a coach answered that it was not a material factor in his mind. He was a coach of a midwest private school with substantial scholarship money. Turns out that your coach being connected matters...
Your coach ain't gonna be the one playing in college...and neither is your kid if he's not good enough to play at a level higher than Plano.
I was at a College Combine with my older son this weekend. All the coaches talked about grades and character. But you know what they want? They want players...the best players they can get. So you are right...just saying you are in D1 probably doesn't mean a lot to a college coach in the midwest. However, the fact that you are in D1 means you are a better player, and if that college coach wants to keep his job...he is going to recruit the better player.
It's probably that last part that you will have issue with...but if you don't think the kids in D1 are better soccer players than the kids playing in Plano...go to some of their practices in June. And...they are mostly good kids with good grades...no more no less than any other group of 14 year olds.
And...those coaches all have extensive contacts.
Sure...your kid can get a shot at college...but the higher level he plays, the better player he will become...and will improve his chances.

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 5/21/2010, 8:57 am

Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:
Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:

Your coach ain't gonna be the one playing in college...and neither is your kid if he's not good enough to play at a level higher than Plano.
I was at a College Combine with my older son this weekend. All the coaches talked about grades and character. But you know what they want? They want players...the best players they can get. So you are right...just saying you are in D1 probably doesn't mean a lot to a college coach in the midwest. However, the fact that you are in D1 means you are a better player, and if that college coach wants to keep his job...he is going to recruit the better player.
It's probably that last part that you will have issue with...but if you don't think the kids in D1 are better soccer players than the kids playing in Plano...go to some of their practices in June. And...they are mostly good kids with good grades...no more no less than any other group of 14 year olds.
And...those coaches all have extensive contacts.
Sure...your kid can get a shot at college...but the higher level he plays, the better player he will become...and will improve his chances.

This is why is rarely post. The insinuation is that "my kid is better than your kid". Let me help you - I could not care less what division my kid plays in...and i never did. Sports can be a powerful tool to develop the character and physical body of a young man. Winning games at whatever level is great...but only matters to the player and a handful of people around him. The victory is soon forgotten. My son will go to Princeton or Stanford not because he wants to play ball, but because he is off the charts intelligent and has ambitions to make an impact on the world. You think playing in Classic 1 means anything? Let me help you...nobody outside Dallas soccer culture could care less.

I spoke to an MLS head coach last year (not SH) and he told me that they do not even consider them footballers until they are 16. He said that until they are 16 or 17 they have not mentally and physically matured to the point that they can be fully evaluated as athletes.

So forgive me if i do not value what team my kid plays on at 14...cause he already has taken the SAT and i am fairly sure i am ok.

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/21/2010, 9:03 am

Not all the kids playing in D1 are good. Most of the the teams are dominated by a few great players and the others are average at best. From what I have seen of the 96 group, many of the boys could have used some time playing in a lower division so their play mattered rather than being carried by the top few on their team.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/21/2010, 10:54 am

My kid doesn't play in D1...and I don't care about your kids SAT score.
You brought up the idea that college coaches don't care about whether a kid plays in D1 or lower...and that your son's PP team was being "scouted" by multiple college coaches.
I just don't agree with the first..and think the second is a joke.
If your son has a desire to play collegiate soccer...be it at Stanford, SMU or Holy Sisters of Mercy Chiropractic College...the level of play does matter. There are lots of good, smart kids playing club soccer in North Texas that want to play soccer in college...College Coaches will seek out the best...and by 16, 17 and 18...those kids will be in the Academy programs or D1 / D2 in Classic League.
So keep your son on his team now...absolutely. Sounds like you like the coach, and my guess is that your son is getting lots of playing time.
But if he really wants to play in College...you probably need to start looking Up in the next year.

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/21/2010, 10:58 am

go99 wrote:Not all the kids playing in D1 are good. Most of the the teams are dominated by a few great players and the others are average at best. From what I have seen of the 96 group, many of the boys could have used some time playing in a lower division so their play mattered rather than being carried by the top few on their team.
Not all the players in the EPL are good. Most of the teams are dominated by a few great players and the others are average at best. (Insert MLS, Budesliga, etc in place of EPL)
Big fish / little pond or little fish / big pond?

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by go99 5/21/2010, 1:06 pm

yes but they were all great at the lower levels. Mediocracy doesn't move forward. All of those leagues are made up of players who wore the coat not rode on it's tails. At 14/15 learn to play and enjoy your time. I do agree that it is almost time to start testing your skills against tougher opponents. I would love to see some of the red players work themselves into some of Rhines practices. The soccer eliteism of NTX is just wrong. You are not a better player just because you play in a higher division. I do know of one of the best players on the FCD juniors that was origionally found on a D3 team. Several of the top players from the Sueno MLS were not playing club football at all. Your division or team does not define who you are. Show up to a coaches combine and play better than everyone there and he will not care what division, team or coach you came from.
go99
go99
TxSoccer Wise Man
TxSoccer Wise Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/21/2010, 3:05 pm

go99 wrote:yes but they were all great at the lower levels. Mediocracy doesn't move forward. All of those leagues are made up of players who wore the coat not rode on it's tails. At 14/15 learn to play and enjoy your time. I do agree that it is almost time to start testing your skills against tougher opponents. I would love to see some of the red players work themselves into some of Rhines practices. The soccer eliteism of NTX is just wrong. You are not a better player just because you play in a higher division. I do know of one of the best players on the FCD juniors that was origionally found on a D3 team. Several of the top players from the Sueno MLS were not playing club football at all. Your division or team does not define who you are. Show up to a coaches combine and play better than everyone there and he will not care what division, team or coach you came from.
By U15, I can tell you from experience that there are very few players on D1 rosters that don't belong there. Just being there doesn't define you...but you don't get there unless you have the speed / talent / drive.
Yes...there are exceptions. There are those phenom's that play on D3 teams...or in the hispanic leagues...or just in high school / middle school.
You should have some of your players try Bradley's or Che's teams first. Bradley's team is pretty shallow right now, but he's a great coach. Che has a lot of talent on his roster.
I have been told that FCD will be striving to move players to the right level up through tryouts. There will be opportunities for all 96 boys in the club to be seen by all the coaches, with the intention of giving them the chance to get a spot on a D1, D2 or D3 team based on their talent.
Of course...we will see.

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Prism 5/21/2010, 9:19 pm

ntxsoccerchat wrote:
Prism wrote:
Rightback wrote:

Maybe. Maybe not.

You're own logic derails your argument. If all things are equal, I'm guessing it does't matter where they played because all things are equal.

My bet would be on the kid who costs the program the least amount of soccer scholarship money...
I didn't say "All things being equal". I said if "character and academics" are equal. If this is the situation, the coach will go with the better player. The better player will be the one playing in D1, not Plano.
As a college coach said to the audience at last weekends college combine at St. Edwards..."grades are important...but can you score goals?"
That's what they want...players.

Prism
TxSoccer Poster
TxSoccer Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Rightback 5/22/2010, 7:39 am

Prism wrote:My kid doesn't play in D1...and I don't care about your kids SAT score.
You brought up the idea that college coaches don't care about whether a kid plays in D1 or lower...and that your son's PP team was being "scouted" by multiple college coaches.
I just don't agree with the first..and think the second is a joke.
If your son has a desire to play collegiate soccer...be it at Stanford, SMU or Holy Sisters of Mercy Chiropractic College...the level of play does matter. There are lots of good, smart kids playing club soccer in North Texas that want to play soccer in college...College Coaches will seek out the best...and by 16, 17 and 18...those kids will be in the Academy programs or D1 / D2 in Classic League.
So keep your son on his team now...absolutely. Sounds like you like the coach, and my guess is that your son is getting lots of playing time.
But if he really wants to play in College...you probably need to start looking Up in the next year.

If you are calling me a liar, we are going to have to meet. The anonymity these posts allow may have gone far enough.
Second, few of your sons will play in college, and almost none will go any farther. Many kids i have met do not meet the minimum academic criteria for a decent school...and as it has been pointed out here many times, this is not football or basketball. They might make an academic exception for them, but soccer is supposed to bring up the GPA of the athletic department. I agree you must be able to play to warrant interest...my point is obviously escaping you. It is not my role or interest as a parent to develop an athlete. Most of you who believe that it is will fail. There is simply always another guy with more talent. My point is simply that sports is a good way to develop a young person. I further pointed out that because Thiago has an extensive network, several college head coaches came out and spent time with the team. They spoke to the team at great length. When the parents asked about what league the boys are in and its influence they spoke at great length. The other coaches mentioned in this post I am certain are worried about getting your children such visibility when they are in the 8th and 9th grade. I am sure they have your child's future in mind. Thiago recently completed an advanced degree in Theology...and understand that in developing a young person a coach has a special role to play. I am sure your coach has your team hold soccer clinics in poor neighborhoods to make sure your kids understand what a powerful role sports can play in society.

These things i value more than what 'level' my kid plays on...

Rightback
TxSoccer Postmaster
TxSoccer Postmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next